Illegal Drainage Connection in Tagbilaran

Tagbilaran City Mayor Dan Lim yesterday backtracked from his latest pronouncement to cut the illegal connectors to the city drainage after to be given a 30-day notice.

Barely two weeks ago, Mayor Lim said he will await the list of the 38 illegal connectors from Bohol CENRO Nestor Canda so he will issue a 30-day notice for their voluntarily disconnection from the drainage.

However, the latest pronouncement issued yesterday said he will detach himself from the drainage issue unless the contractor, Hanjin Construction, will turnover the multi-million drainage project to the city government.

The letter which was received by the office of the governor last Friday afternoon, contained the sudden change of stand of the mayor.

It maybe recalled that Lim took responsibility to inform the establishments to voluntarily cut their illegal connectors within 30 days from receipt of notice. In fact, Lim said he will get the list of the illegal connectors from CENRO Canda. He stated this during the coordinating meeting presided over by Gov. Erico Aumentado at the governor’s mansion last month.

Lim also made public the pronouncement on the drainage issue during his Sept. 27 Mayor’s Report over DYRD saying he will effect the cutting of the illegal connections after the notices will provided by DENR.

Instead of updating the public on the disconnection process which he earlier committed, Mayor Lim again twisted to another scenario of awaiting the project’s turnover to the city government.

It maybe recalled that even DENR Secretary Lito Atienza, during his recent visit told the Chronicle it is the LGU that has the police power to implement the cutting of the illegal connections in coordination with the DENR.

CENRO Canda and as well as Hanjin Construction could not be reached for comments regarding the latest pronouncement of the city mayor.

Canda, two days after the coordination meeting convened by the governor brought water samples to DENR regional laboratory to check on the cleanliness of the water which will be channeled to the drainage outfall along Graham Ave., this city.

City hall through its consultant, Engr Cecil Corloncito, earlier said that a lab test showed it safe for the drainage outfall to be opened to drop the drainage flow from CPG Avenue where the illegal connectors link their outlet to the city’s new drainage system. However, DENR categorically said the lab test mentioned by Corloncito was not acceptable since it was not clear what lab conducted the test. The lab should be accredited by the DENR, Canda stressed.

During his weekly “Mayor’s Report” over dyRD yesterday, Lim criticized the editorial of this paper which presented a sequence on how this drainage problem has been discussed and tackled during the past two years.

It maybe recalled that the city mayor has been issuing statements regarding the illegal connections since December 2006 as shown in the foto copy of this paper’s Dec. 2006 issue.

Leave a Reply

Categorized | Travel

Advertise Here
Advertise Here